In order to receive your tickets by email, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list. If you don’t see your tickets/order confirmation, please check your junk/spam folder.
- This event has passed.
Introducing Woodwork in Early Years Education
April 27 @ 9:30 am - 3:00 pm£100.00
This practical workshop will look at ways in which woodworking can be safely introduced in your early years setting. We will look at the theory and the associated learning and development relating to the EYFS. We will examine the historical context and look at examples from other countries that have been working successfully with wood for many years. There will be explanations of the most suitable tools for children and instruction on how best to use them. We will look at the most suitable woods. Information on potential suppliers of wood/ tools will be provided. Explanations on how to set up a woodworking area. Suggestions for activities, open-ended explorations and longer term projects. There will be practical sessions for teachers to explore the tools, gain confidence and share the experience of making creations in wood.
From this course you will:
- Understand the value and theory of woodwork especially in relation to D&T
- Learn about the historical context of woodwork
- Understand the potential of woodwork for creativity and critical thinking
- Learn how to introduce woodwork safely, implementing an effective risk assessment
- Understand the most suitable tools for young children and how to use them
- Be confident to develop a woodworking area
- Know where to buy the most appropriate tools and materials