In order to receive your tickets by email, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list. If you don’t see your tickets/order confirmation, please check your junk/spam folder.
- This event has passed.
Talking for Life (and Literacy, Too!)
December 10, 2019 @ 9:15 am - 3:30 pm£100.00
Language is one of the most wonderful human inventions, and young children learning to talk are gaining access to a whole new world. They can think more clearly, imagine more freely, understand the ideas and feelings of people around them, and access places and times far beyond their own. Literacy is important, but it depends on language. Sometimes the focus of sharing books with children can get distorted so that it is seen as leading to reading, while missing the opportunity for rich talk that can come out of real conversations about a book — and about anything else that captures a child’s interest.
In this day course, participants will:
- Review how children learn language, and the adult’s role as a skilled communication partner
- Consider the links from communication and language to literacy
- Explore approaches to book talk, in active dialogue with children
- Consider video examples across the age range of the EYFS
- Have a go at exploring books, preparing to use books to build conversation and boost language learning